On October 15, 1928 Cardinal Dougherty of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia came to the City of Pottsville by train to dedicate a brand new school building. At exactly 3:30 pm the building located at 112 7th Street began its historical tenure as Pottsville Catholic High School and Saint Patrick’s Parish Elementary School. The building currently operates as a school and is the home of Assumption B.V.M. Over its 90 year history, thousands of students have since walked through its halls leaving behind everlasting academic and spiritual impressions.
The October 2018 Celebration:
The newspaper from this day in history reported that “thousands” from many local communities and parishes attended the dedication ceremony of this new and stately school building. In order to commemorate the historical, academic and spiritual significance of the building dedication, Assumption B.V.M. School, in cooperation with local parishes, students, friends, families and alumni of local former Catholic schools, is currently planning a 90th Anniversary Blessing & Rededication Celebration to take place Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 2:00 pm.
Tentative Outreach Activities and Events
- Blessing and rededication ceremony of the school building Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 2:00 pm
- Presentation of a City of Pottsville proclamation (date TBD)
- Assumption B.V.M. historical “Through the Decades” student projects, including additional activities to be scheduled for Monday, October 15
- Current, past, and future student, family, alumni, and friends reception
- School building tours with historical displays representing all local former Catholic school communities
Ways to Help and Participate
Assumption B.V.M. students, families, and friends, including alumni of all local, former Catholic schools, are essential to the success of any endeavor. To that end, information regarding upcoming planning meetings will be provided. To date, the following volunteer opportunities have been identified:
- Coordination of the events and activities listed above
- Coordination of alumni outreach (e.g. reviewing alumni lists dating 1928 onward, including local former Catholic school alumni)
- Collection of historical items for display (e.g. photos, newspaper clippings, video, etc.)
- Donation of re-dedication ceremony flowers (the original news article from 1928 reports that lilies, and pink and white roses decorated the school gymnasium)
Information regarding future planning activities (e.g. meetings) will be forthcoming. Updates regarding this event will be communicated via Assumption B.V.M. emails, notices, Facebook, and the school webpage. As planning gains momentum, additional information will be communicated through local parishes and event partners.
Alumni of local former Catholic schools are encouraged and welcome to participate in this momentous occasion:
All Saints, Good Shepherd, Holy Family, Holy Redeemer, Immaculate Conception, Mary Queen of Peace, Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Pottsville Catholic High School, Sacred Heart, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, St. Francis, St. John the Baptist, St. Kieran, St. Mary’s, St. Mary Star of the Sea, St. Patrick, St. Stanislaus, St. Stephen, and St. Vincent.